Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tip: Grades Are Important, but not Conclusive (or so they say)

Some say grades are everything. Yes, it will help you get an OCI interview, yes some law firms won't look at you unless you have a 3.0, and yes it's not fair, but in law school someone has the set the curve and sometimes that someone is you. There are ways to overcome bad grades. Improve your other legal skills (writing, oral advocacy, leadership) and highlights those on your resume and in your interview. When you interview when asked about your grades say this,

"I have tried really hard in law school and done the best I can do. My grades do not at all reflect my potential as a lawyer and I recognize they are only a number. My grades do not define me as a person. However, I have many other skills that do define me as a person and as a lawyer and I think its those skills that will make me a great asset at your law firm, government agency, ect."

Something like that will work and show that you are not lazy, but also recognize that your life does not end and begin with your grades. Now if I could only listen to my own advice!

1 comment:

  1. How about saying that you concentrated on learning practical lawyering skills, and through X internship and Y clinical experience you know how to file a law suit, draft a motion, conduct a deposition - things that never came up in your law school classes. If you worked while attending school, whether to be self supporting and/or to gain experience, use these facts to back up your claims. No one would fault you for your grades if you are ready to rock and roll as an attorney without a lot of oversight.

    ReplyDelete