Sunday, May 16, 2010

Run from the the Law

Some say that you should run from law school.  My advice is that you should be aware of all of your options and be honest with yourself.  Also realize that might not end up making six figures 6 months after law school and therefore, most of your income will be eaten up by loan payments and rent (or mortgage). If you don't mind that, then by all means go to law school.  Also do not over borrow no matter how tempting it might be. I'm serious.  The extra $10,000 you borrow today can cost you much more in the future. So try to live within your means rather than living it up in law school just to have to live under house arrest and eat ramen noodles after law school while you're trying to make ends meet.  

You should consider going to law school where you plan on living and/or practicing (this might matter less if you don't plan on practicing though). Also think about what you want to do with your law degree (if you actually know what you want to do!) because you might not need the degree (and the debt) to do what you want to do.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you, especially in the post-recession legal climate. In my book, "J.D. Lifeline: Pre-Law Edition," I advocate the power and versatility of a law degree. While it is true that law school is expensive, I also detail ways in which to fund your law school education. In fact, I dedicate an entire chapter to the topic. I examine these issues and other realities in the post-recession legal market, topics that you have hit on the head in your blog. The best way to get through to prospective law students and help their careers is by continuing to expose the truth. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The truth is that there are no jobs for lawyers out there. I'm curious as to what Zenovia has to say, and I am willing to check out this author's book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your interest. Next week I am launching the new version "J.D. Lifeline: A Law School Guide for the New Legal Economy.". This will have a lot of information. The Ask JD Zen advice blog will be launched as well. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. Evansz@jdlifeline.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also look forward to the book. I'll be starting law school in 2011 for pennies on the dollar due to a nice scholarship.

    Great, insightful, blog with useful information.

    JD2B
    http://tobeajd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the generous scholarship from the law school! That should certainly decrease the financial burden of law school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the scholarship. You have won half the battle already. Non-academic complications, such as funding, contribute primarily to failure in law school. I can be of assistance regarding the rest of the process. I will check out your blog and be in touch when the book is released.

    ReplyDelete